Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Empty Weekends and Empty Hearts

As this workweek comes to an end
And others are looking forward
To spend time with family and loved ones
I drag myself home
With nothing but a numbness within
For an empty heart is all I’ve got
And that makes weekends unbearable
What’s the use of all the praises
Of projects well done and target achieved
If I can’t even face
Another weekend of empty apartment

I stopped by blockbuster on my way home
To get yet another pile of movies
Stories of lives that do nothing
But reminding me of my own lifeless life
The shopkeeper nodded and smiled
With the look that said, “I know you’ll come today,
I was sure I even dared
To bet my house on this!”
I went out without renting anything from him that night
Just to get a glimpse of shock on the shopkeeper’s face
And I drove around to another blockbuster on the next block
Which I would go every week from then on
Till I get the same nod and the same look from the shopkeeper
After which I would just find another blockbuster
Just like the way I call one pizza place after another
As soon as the delivery boy could drive to my place blindfolded
They were just shopkeepers and delivery boys
And yet, during weekends, they are both richer than me
And they know it
They always do.

My friends say I need a new love
But how can I have a new love
When I don’t even have a real heart?
My heart is but a hollow shell
Hollowed by a girl who had long gone
So I only have room for my loyal companies:
A pile of moves and boxes of pizza
They will see me though the dreaded weekends
They will tide me over till Mondays come
When I can once again belong to the actions
That will at least make me forget about my empty hearts
Until the dreaded Fridays come again
Until it’s time for me to stop by Blockbuster again.

16 July 2006 19:40

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home